Friday, October 7, 2011

A New Look for the NorVa


I found an article a couple of days ago on AltDaily's music blog (it's great, go read it) that really peaked my interest.  One of my favorite venues is the NorVa and any time big news like this gets dropped, I make an effort to share it with people.  According to AltDaily, the NorVa is looking to switch up its look a little.  The NorVa is holding an audition of sorts for local visual street artists to paint murals on the walls (interior and exterior) of the NorVa.  Needless to say, this is a HUGE opportunity for local street artists.  Below is an excerpt from AltDaily's interview with Rick Mersel, who is the co-owner of the NorVa (which can be found here).
With the rise in popularity of mural artists and murals as an art form worldwide and the natural association with music we felt that now was the time to add street art throughout the venue to add a visual component to the total concert experience.
The NorVa is willing to pay for paint for the mural and the artist will recieve 2 regular tickets to every concert for the next 6 months!  I strongly recommend that you go read the rest of the interview at the link I have placed above because it is very interesting.  I am glad that the NorVa is willing to support all local artists, not just the musically inclined ones; and I figure, if they can, so can I.  All local artists can find details about where to send samples of your work to be considered at the same link above.  Mr. Mersel did not provide any guidelines as to what they were looking for exactly (a wise move in my opinion), but he did state that:

we want the “Wow” factor and we will know what we want when we see it. All art is subjective so it will really hinge upon our collective tastes and what we think will be visually stunning.
I think that this is an awesome opportunity and kudos to the NorVa for providing this opportunity for local artists.

2 comments:

  1. What a great article supporting a mainstay of the Hampton Roads music scene. Hats off to the Norva also for supporting all arts in a time when government wants education to forget that art exists.

    Nice start to a successful endeavor Marc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree! and thank you! That means a lot.

    ReplyDelete